Monday, July 18, 2011

Recipe: Corn Casserole

My kitchen is currently in basil mode. Pesto, caprese salads, pesto, thai fried rice, pesto, pesto bread, pesto...

Don't get me wrong. My love for basil is deep and real. But I am looking forward to another summer produce invasion coming very soon...sweet corn! It may already be at my market. I wouldn't know. By the time I made it there on Saturday all I cared about was getting a coffee and scone and being a little bummed out at the lack of selection (it's what happens when you're there in the PM. I know better). The point is I refuse to buy it from the store. Why do I want week-old corn shipped in from Iowa when I can get something that was grown 10 miles away and picked yesterday? I digress...

In preparation for sweet corn madness, I'm giving you a corn recipe that works beautifully year round. It is a staple for holidays and get-togethers at my folk's house. Make it with fresh corn now and with frozen or canned (almost as good) corn for Thanksgiving,  Easter, church potlucks, birthdays (ok, maybe it's not birthday worthy, unless you really love corn...).
















Corn Casserole
45 minutes (35 minutes unattended)
Serves 8 as a side
Adapted from Mom’s Kitchen

  • ¾ stick butter, melted
  • 1 16 oz. can of cream-style corn
  • 1 16 oz. can of whole kernel corn
  • ½ cup light sour cream
  • ½ cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 8 oz. package dry cornbread mix

1.         Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2.         Place melted butter in a large casserole dish.
3.         In a large bowl, mix together corn (including liquid from cans), sour cream, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese and dry cornbread mix. Combine ingredients and add to the casserole dish.
4.         Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Tips and Tricks:
  • To use fresh (or frozen, on-the-cob) instead of canned corn, shuck 4-6 ears of corn (should yield around 4 cups). Take the cobs and place in a large pot. Add water until the cobs are just covered, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Reserve 2/3 cup of the cob cooking water and add to the shucked corn.
  • You can use any combination of sour cream and greek yogurt. More sour cream will yield a moister, fluffier casserole. More greek yogurt will increase the protein and make a slightly denser casserole.
  • For the melted butter, either melt the butter in the microwave and transfer to the casserole dish or put your casserole dish over low heat and melt the butter on the stovetop. If you use the second method, be sure to remember the dish will be warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment